I love Yemeni food
...but I still don't know the names of the dishes!
Here we are having a traditional meal with the best views in town - the penthouse of the Burj Al Salam Hotel in the Old City. The only (?) building in the walled city with an (OTIS) elevator.
Two things I learned:
- Hummus isn't Yemeni (according to a Yemeni friend) and,
- OTIS is Dutch (a Dutch friend says it's one of two great things the Dutch can claim fame to - guess what the other one is!)
The near-fluourescent green stuff in the middle is yoghurt mixed with herbs and poured over a light bread that's kind of like crepe - a favourite during Ramadhan. The spiced lentil soup is tasty and even better if you squeeze some lime over it. This was just the first course of four! Then came the meats with various breads, then the lamb briyani and finally coffee with an eggy pastry with some honey.
A must if you come to Sana'a!
Comments