The past and the present

I recently joined Facebook, after years of being wary of leaving an e-trail that will forever be cached somewhere. What the heck...

I must say, it's an excellent way to look up people from the past. I spent hours looking at friends' profiles, their friends, and their friends, etc. and found SO many people that I know/knew/completely forgot about! Most of my friends are married with kids. A few have passed away. It's funny how people from different circles know each other from elsewhere.

All that browsing and catching up with long-lost friends have made me somewhat pensive, thinking about the past, present and future all at once.

Would I let people who've hurt me in the past into my life again, and vice versa? I've certainly changed - at least, I think so.

With past regrets, how would I have done things differently?

Would old friends look at me now and expect me to have achieved more/less in life?

Where should we be now, as thirty-somethings?

If I were to compare my life with my mother's, she would have had four kids by now, the eldest being 13, and would have had her fifth child by next year. Whereas my curries are a hit-or-miss and the thought of cooking for other people scares the hell out of me, she single-handedly cooked/baked for coffee mornings/parties for big groups and was able to pull off dinner parties for my dad's bosses.

I wonder if my girl friends are more like my mum or like me.

Well, at least now that I'm 30-plus, I'm definitely more comfortable in my own skin than I was in my twenties. I know who I am, I'm more self-assured, I read a lot more and I'm better at recognising bull**** when I hear it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh well Facebook is a pretty good place to catch up with ppl. But just don't post anything/pictures that are incriminating! You'll live to regret it. That's why I won't even post a profile picture of myself hehehe!

Tag me in FB then girl!

MS

Popular posts from this blog

Taiz

Sushi Night at the Sheraton

How to pack for overseas assignments