Updates

- Malaysian restaurant found!
- Shipment has arrived!

The Malaysian restaurant. Oh yes, baby! Tucked away somewhere near the Old College, with no sign outside yet (“waiting for that licence”), this is like a Malaysian gerai. Opened in March. Authentic Malaysian food (more northern because the cook is the owner’s Thai wife); local prices; outdoor setting; can do takeaways; most of the customers are Msian students (all guys so far), Indonesians, Yemenia staff, Msian businessmen in town, and locals who’ve been to Msia.

It’s basically a villa with the restaurant in the compound. The owner, a guy from Sarawak who used to work as a trader, lives on the upper floor of the house with his family – wife and two kids who are studying locally. They rent out the lower floor to students and someone gives English lessons. They grow kai lan and strawberries in the garden. Lots of ‘Visit Malaysia’ posters and brochures – donated by the tourism board because after all, it’s the ‘Malaysian Tourist Restaurant’! There are some nice clay pots (“given to us for free because they are broken”) and photos of places in Yemen that we’re not allowed to visit…

If the weather is warm and you’re craving Msian food, this is the place in Sana’a!

Our stuff has arrived! Spent all of last weekend unpacking. Thought the stereo and DVD had been nicked but they showed up in the end, although the DVD player is a bit battered – some genius put it under the exercise weights with the plug prongs on top of the machine!

TV still not set up because we can’t find the wires! I'm being tested…

I was surprised at how happy I was to have my things again. S asked me what I missed the most, and bizarrely, it was my printer, hairclips and corduroy trousers! (When we first arrived in Angola, it was my pressure cooker, don’t ask me why!)

As I unpacked the stuff, I thought about (i) how much crap I have and (ii) when I’d have to pack it all again and what might get left behind and/or damaged/stolen…and then I got depressed (am I emo or what???).

This time I didn’t unpack the fancy china. No point having it sit out unused (because honestly, when am I going to host a coffee morning?) and then having to pack it again later.

And this time, we are going to purrrrrrrge and leave with 550kg instead of the 1,300kg that came!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taiz

Sushi Night at the Sheraton

How to pack for overseas assignments