Ramadhan mubarak!
Ramadhan mubarak to all our family and friends! For us this year, Ramadhan kicked off in Ilford, Essex where we're staying for a week (hubby's aunt's place) before flying to Yemen. I called up the Ilford Islamic Centre (after a quick Google) on Sunday night to confirm if we would fast on Monday, and a nice man said, "Yes, sister, Ramadhan is confirmed to start tomorrow, insya-Allah"...which left me a little confused. Is it confirmed or is it insya-Allah?
Anyway, maghrib here now is 7:49 p.m. I think this is the longest I've ever fasted.
Next week, we'll be in Yemen. Maghrib there is around 6:14 p.m. but I think the thirst will get you because it's so dry.
During the last week of Ramadhan, we'll be home in Malaysia. As far as I remember, I haven't been home during Ramadhan since I left for college in 1994! A few years ago, we arrived in KL ready to raya because we had flown via Dubai where it was already Eid. But Malaysia was fasting for another day!
Anyway, we spent last weekend in Portsmouth and Brighton. After reaching Portsmouth on Saturday afternoon, we visited the HMS Victory and historic docks. Drove around the city a little bit, had dinner at a decent Chinese place (Chez Choi) in Southsea and then walked around an amusement park by the sea front eating somewhat naff ice cream. On Sunday, we popped into the D-Day Museum, which my dad would have loved - army stuff. (Knowing full well that we have too much stuff to bring) I bought a 1,000-piece puzzle of a 1950s collage of 'girlpower', which I plan to put together and frame up for the kitchen...we'll see! Then we drove to Brighton with enough time to visit the Royal Pavillion, eat fish & chips by the beach and walk along the Brighton Pier before the weather turned.
It was a good weekend, and I was pretty excited about finally reaching England's south coast but I was a little disappointed that things were a little 'low key' given all the hype, especially about Brighton.
Unfortunately, no photos until we get our shipment in Yemen because I got a new laptop and packed away the installation CD for the digital camera! Very smart.
Comments
:D
no photos for the next couple of months, Dewi?? oh oh!