I'm not going to use a cheesy title like 'Having a Whale of a Time!'

A couple of weeks ago, we went whale watching off Luanda. The first whale we came across wasn't too far from the coast, but further out, we caught up with a pair of whales that were moving in parallel with a third whale some distance away. We followed them for a while, with one boat on either side of the pair. They would come up every 3 minutes, sometimes you heard the whooooof of air being spouted out before you saw them. I think these were humpback whales. Black body. Bumpy heads. Small dorsal fins. I thought the underside of the tail for one of them was white.

A few times, we also saw some shark-like fins in the water but these would disappear very quickly. They weren't sharks, but moonfish. The picture below is a preserved moonfish that is hundreds of years old at the Natural History Museum in Luanda.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taiz

Sushi Night at the Sheraton

How to pack for overseas assignments